- test - Meghan
Make It! Take It!™
Build It, Test It, Take it Home!
Complete a phenomenon-based science lesson in 30 minutes!
Encourage your students to figure out the world around them.
Easily introduce your students to up to 10 different scientific phenomena. Then, give them the opportunity to notice, wonder, and investigate each phenomenon together! By integrating core science ideas into lessons, students are able to retain what they learn by understanding and experiencing the why behind the science.
Incorporate the 5E Model into Your Instruction
The 5E Model of Instruction is a common pedagogical approach taken in science. It is a student-centered approach that helps students construct an understanding of a concept before encountering an explanation. The essence of the 5E Model is present in the steps of the Make It! Take It! phenomena lessons. At the same time, students are also developing their sense-making of a key crosscutting concept through carefully written phenomena stories, investigation activities, and questions.
|Make It! Take It! Lesson||5E Model|
|Explore the Phenomenon||Engage/Explore|
|Investigate the Phenomenon||Explore/Explain|
|Take It Extension||Elaborate|
Make It! Take It! lessons walk you through the 5E Model.
Explore the Phenomenon
Estimated time: 5 minutes
- Show a real-life image and read a story describing the phenomenon.
- Facilitate class discussions. Encourage students to share what they notice.
Investigate the Phenomenon
Estimated time: 25 minutes
- Build–Students use the provided materials and instructions to build their very own models.
- Test–Each student becomes an Engineer and learns that making something once may not work as planned.
- Record–The recording sheet allows students to write or draw their observations of the tests.
- After their observations, students can discuss what worked and what didn't.
- Introduce key scientific vocabulary students can use to explain the reasoning behind their observations.
- Encourage students to take their creations home to continue testing!
Make It! Take It! Science Kits Cover 3 Science Domains
Make It! Take It! Kits Are Ready When You Are!
- Enough materials for 30 students to complete the activity
- No copying necessary! 30 student instruction and recording sheets are provided
- Easy, step-by-step photo instructions for students to follow
- Guided reflection questions
- Writing prompts
- Extension ideas for students to test more at home
- Spanish language student pages available online!
If you would like to talk to an Educational Sales Consultant about Make It! Take It! please fill in your information below and someone will be in contact shortly.