Engino Discovering STEM: Mechanics Gears & Worm Drives
Students learn how gears can easily reduce or increase speed, change force, or transfer motion from one position to another. Discover how worm drives are used to greatly reduce rotational speed and how screws can convert rotational motion to linear. Builds up to 12 different models such as an experimental crane, a gearbox, a carousel, a helicopter, a screw press and a crane with a rotating arm.
Easy-to-follow building instructions for all models either and detailed explanations of the different scientific principles applied and incorporates innovative experimental activities for hands-on learning. A Quiz section is also available to challenge students' newly acquired knowledge!
WHAT TO TEACH
- How the handle's position affects force and speed.
- How the crank's position affects force and speed.
- How to calculate the mechanical advantage of a screw.
- What a worm drive is and how to use a ratchet mechanism.
- 12 Different Model Possibilities
- Building Instructions
|Grade Level||3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12|