Are you or one of your colleagues looking to implement STEM in your classroom?
The Illinois Science Teachers Association (ISTA) and the Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics (ICTM), with the generous support of ETA hand2mind, are pleased to offer the Illinois STEM Rising Star Award for promising teachers looking to implement STEM in their classrooms. The winners will be honored at the 2018 Joint ISTA/ICTM Conference, held at the Tinley Park Convention Center on October 19–20.
*ETA hand2mind employees and their family members and paid consultants/per diems of ETA hand2mind are not eligible to apply.
- There will be 3 awards—1 primary grades (K–2), 1 intermediate grades (3–5), and 1 middle school (6–8).*
- Applicants must provide evidence of a plan to implement STEM/Engineering Design projects that go beyond normal classroom teaching.
- An emphasis is placed on plans that are innovative and that integrate multiple STEM areas.
- Judges will be looking for evidence of current teaching practices that include hands-on learning, small group instruction, centers rotations, and overall student engagement.
- Applications are especially encouraged from educators whose work involves student populations that are underrepresented in STEM fields.
- The independent judging panel includes: ISTA/ICTM members, college/university professors, and/or last year’s winners.