A Complete Hands-On Phonics Program Based on the World's Greatest Reading Manipulative!
Reading Rods Phonics provides hundreds of hands-on activities and games for building not only phonics skills but also a wide range of other key literacy skills in grades K-3. Used as a supplement to your core reading program, and with enough lessons to last the entire year, this is research-based skills instruction that puts students on the path to reading success!
Integrates Easily with Any Curriculum—
- Contains a wealth of activities to pick and choose, supplement, extend, and reinforce your core reading program
- Aligns with state and national standards
- Meets NCLB requirements through explicit, systematic instruction in phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, text comprehension, and writing
- Perfect for centers and small group instruction
- Great for differentiated instruction and early intervention for at-risk students
- Moves sequentially from basic phonics skills to more sophisticated reading, writing, comprehension, and grammar skills
Reading Rods® Phonics is a unique, hands-on literacy development system for whole class or small group instruction that builds proficiency in—
- Phonemic awareness
- Text comprehension
A variety of instructional materials, including activity books, games, and Reading Rods packaged in convenient totes, work together to supplement and enhance any reading curriculum.
Research Proves Reading Rods® Phonics Works!
In a study* with over 500 Grades 1–2 students using an experimental research design, Reading Rods Phonics produced extraordinary advances in achievement as measured by students’ standardized test scores.
- Experimental Group students crossed from below-Target performance (<50th percentile) to Target-and-above performance at a higher rate than the Control group.
- The Experimental Group showed significantly greater gains from pretest to posttest than Control Group students.
*This research study on the effectiveness of Reading Rods Phonics was conducted with 534 students in 14 schools of a large Midwestern urban school district. Students were tested before and after their use of Reading Rods Phonics utilizing subtests of the Illinois Snapshot of Early Learning (ISEL).
Reading Rods® Phonics correlates to—
"This is an excellent program because it integrates reading, writing, and grammar through a visual and hands-on method. These are the best manipulatives I have used because they are color-coded, organized, and user-friendly. The Teacher’s Guide is wonderful! I have been waiting for a very long time to find a program that will save me hours each week creating my own materials!" —Jennifer Himber, ESE Resource Teacher, Greenacres, FL