STEM in Action™: Shadow Box Theatre Exploration
Physical Science: Light & Shadow
Build understanding of light and shadows and create composite shapes.
In this STEM module, James and Will are putting on a play and want to use shadows for their scenery. Children explore light and shadows by planning, testing, and redesigning scenery for a shadow box theater.
- Total of 90-180 minutes of instruction time broken into 20-30 minute blocks
- All materials for up to 30 students to participate in a collaborative activity
- Aligned and written to standards
- Helpful how-to video
KEY NGSS STANDARD(S)
1-PS4-3: Plan and conduct investigations to determine the effect of placing objects made with different materials in the path of a beam of light.
Student Activity Books (6)
Teacher Guide with blackline masters
Shadow theater (1)
Stage light (1)
Clear plastic strips (12)
Materials squares (14 each of 5 materials)
Shadow boards (6)
Plastic clips (36)
Measuring strips (1 sheet)
Shape tiles (6 sets)
ManipuLite shapes (6 sets)
Clear tape (6)
Helpful how-to video
- Brand: Hands-On Standards® STEM in Action
- Area of Focus: : Science
- Subject: Physical Science (Science)
- Product Type: Physical Science (Science)
- Age: 6
- Grade: 1
- Units: Each
- Item #: IN79821
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD! Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.