STEM in Action® Food Deserts Challenge
Life Science: Plants
Build understanding of the needs of living things
All materials for up to 30 students to participate in a collaborative activity
Aligned and written to standards
Students explore their own dietary needs and how to grow fresh produce without soil. By using critical thinking, communication, and collaboration to design systems for growing fresh produce, students prepare for essential skills of the 21st century. Students work through the Engineering Design Process – to learn the value of rethinking and supporting multiple solutions.
STEM in Action® modules are the easy-to-implement PreK-5 solution for integrating science, math, literacy, and engineering skills into real-world problems. These modules focus on the Engineering Design Practice which is a critical component of NGSS, state standards, and national initiatives. The materials are teacher friendly and all come in an easy-to-store box.
- Total of 150-300 minutes of instruction time broken into 30-60 minute blocks
Helpful how-to video
KEY NGSS STANDARD
5-LS1-1: Support an argument that plants get the materials they need for growth chiefly from air and water.
- Student Activity Books (6)
- Teacher Guide with blackline masters
- Grow light fixture, stand, and light bulb
- Aquarium pump, gang-style valve, airline tubing, and airstones
- Classroom scale
- Substrates: Gravel, Perlite, Vermiculite
- Plastic tubs, cups, spoons, and droppers
- Lettuce seeds, fiberglass screen, pH paper, and hydroponic nutrient
- Graduated cylinders, funnels, measuring cups, and measuring tablespoons
- Paper cups, 3 oz and 1 oz
- Baking soda, vinegar, cotton balls, coffee filters, and foam plates
- Rubber bands, masking tape, and zip-top bags
* Refills available. Contact Customer Service or your Educational Consultant
- Brand: Hands-On Standards® STEM in Action
- Area of Focus: : Science
- Subject: Life Science (Science)
- Product Type: Sets, Kits & Centers (Science)
- Age: 10
- Grade: 5
- Units: Each
- Item #: IN79815
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD! SMALL PARTS. (1) Not for < 3 yrs.