CitySteps supports standards for preschool curricula!
Promote language acquisition and literacy development through informational texts and oral language activities! CitySteps™ Literacy offers a powerful combination of materials for guided group activities and independent explorations that develop children’s oral language, print awareness, and emergent writing skills. Meet and exceed the accountability mandates for ELLCO (Early Language and Literacy Classroom Observation) and other program assessments.
Early Reading First
CitySteps for Literacy
My Neighborhood kit shown here
- Oral Language
- Phonological Awareness
- Print Awareness
- Alphabet Knowledge
Each Literacy Package includes a theme-based Dramatic Play Kit with Teacher's Notes!
Each Themed Literacy Kit Includes-
- Nonfiction Lap Books—Concept books for each theme reflecting urban images and settings help young children explore informational texts, learn how to listen, take turns speaking, and expand their knowledge of words.
- Think Along Story Cards—Engaging short stories scaffold comprehension, develop active listening skills, teach new words, and spark meaningful conversations. Stopping points offer logical prompts for talking about story outcomes, events, and interesting words.
- Literacy Snapshot Picture Cards with Teacher’s Notes—Real-world photographs featuring a write-on/wipe-off surface, offer opportunities for young children to see, talk, and write about subjects and build background knowledge.
- Literacy Learning Center Activity Cards with Teacher’s Notes—Ready-to-use activities are perfect for teachers to model before young children do them on their own or with others. Open-ended questions on each card help promote conversations about the activity.
- Jumbo Reading Rods®—Jumbo interlocking letter and picture cubes offer a variety of ways to support development of phonological awareness, alphabet knowledge, oral language, and print awareness.
- Story Roll-Ups™ with Teacher’s Notes—Unique storytelling mats foster interactive language experiences. Colorful tactile felt pieces match the finger plays or rhymes found in the CitySteps Lap Books. Additional felt pieces offer more pictures to retell, extend, and create new verses.
- Dramatic Play Kits with Teacher’s Notes—Young children use an assortment of props to listen, learn language, and use their imaginations as fruit and vegetable stand proprietors, construction workers, veterinarians, cooks, doctors, and weather forecaster.
- Literacy Theme Guide
- FREE Teacher’s Tote Bag
- FREE Pocket Portfolio