Provide concrete representation of math concepts and operations with Cuisenaire Rods
Cuisenaire Rods are a classic math manipulative that allow students to see numbers and their relationships on real-world objects. Since their wide-spread adoption in the 1950's they have become a stable of classroom manipulatives around the world.
Benefits of Cuisenaire Rods
- Fit nicely into any curriculum across multiple grades, from colors and shapes to proportional reasoning
- Engage students through active play that motivates them to learn math and build excitement for their math investigations
- Build concrete understanding of numbers and the meaning of the mathematical properties
- Create greater math confidence through active self-learning
- Build conceptual understanding toward the obstruct understanding of mathematics
How They Work
Cuisenaire Rods come in 10 color-related sizes. When arranged in order of length, each rod differs from the next by exactly one unit. This pattern is commonly referred to as a "staircase." By arranging a value to one rod you can then assign values to the other rods by using the relationships among the rods. Cuisenaire Rods can be used to develop a wide variety of mathematical ideas at different levels of complexity.
Watch a video and see Cuisenaire Rods in action with renowned math expert Marilyn Burns.